The Life of Christ Window ~ Henry Edwards-Ficken, 1897
Christ’s life is the subject of this large window. Beginning with the picture at the bottom left, the first scene is the Nativity, with the inscription, “For unto you is born a saviour which is Christ the Lord” (from Luke 2:11). The next scene shows Jesus in the temple, carrying on discourse with the elders. It is captioned, “They found him sitting in the midst of the doctors” (from Luke 2:46). This event was part of the larger story of Mary, Joseph, and Jesus’s visit to Jerusalem during Passover when Jesus was a boy of twelve. When the traveling party returned to Nazareth, they noticed that Jesus was not among them and had to go back to find him. They found him in deep religious discussion with the temple elders. The third scene on the bottom is the baptism of Christ by John the Baptist, under which is written, “Jesus also being baptized: the heaven was opened” (from Luke 3:21).
The upper portion of the left panel shows Jesus giving sight to the blind man, captioned, “They bring a blind man and besought him to touch him” (from Mark 8:22). The upper part of the middle panel is Christ’s ascension, with the words, “He was parted from them and carried up into heaven” (Luke 24:51). The upper portion of the right window shows the raising of Jairus’s daughter, with the inscription, “He said Weep not, She is not dead but sleepeth” (from Luke 8:52).
Above the lancets with the scenes from the life of Christ is tracery containing symbols of the church, among which are the Alpha and Omega, and Chi Rho. Angels on the right and left face the dove representing the Holy Spirit.
This window was donated in memory of John and Helen Grace Ferguson by their children in February 1897. The window was designed by the architect Henry Edwards-Ficken who was building the Ferguson Memorial Building at St. Luke’s Chapel in south Stamford at the time. This window was painted in the New York studio of Charles Maginn.
Henry Edwards-Ficken was born in London, England, around 1844, and came to New York in 1869. He began working for the architectural firm of Potter and Robinson in New York but opened his own offices in 1883. He designed many private estates and public buildings in the Victorian Gothic revival style, including the town hall of Birmingham, Connecticut. From 1913 until his death in 1929, Edwards-Ficken was the supervising architect and engineer of Woodlawn Cemetery outside of New York.
Location: South transcept.