St. John The Evangelist ~ J. Wippell Studios, 1987
Saint John the Evangelist was one of Christ’s closest disciples. He was one of the sons of Zebedee, another also being a disciple, James the Greater. John, along with Peter and James, was with Jesus at his Transfiguration (Matthew 17:1-9; Mark 9:2-8; Luke 9:28-36), as well as in the Garden of Gethsemane (Matthew 26: 36-44; Mark 14:32-42) and in the house where Jesus raised the daughter of Jairus from death (Mark 5:21-24; Luke 8:51-52). It is interesting that none of these events is recorded in John’s gospel. He is also identified as “the disciple whom Jesus loved” in his gospel: in John 12:23, after Jesus tells his disciples one will betray him, “One of them, the disciple he loved, was reclining close to Jesus.”; at the Sea of Tiberias, after the resurrection: “Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, ‘It is the Lord!’” (John 21:7). John is also, by tradition, one of the men who helped take Jesus down from the cross and present at the death of the Virgin Mary. He is also by tradition the author of the Book of Revelation, written while he was imprisoned on the island of Patmos.
When John is pictured as one of the disciples, he is often portrayed as a young man without a beard, but when he is depicted as the evangelist, he has a beard and appears with a book, often also with his symbol, the eagle, and a pen, as he is pictured here. The scroll at his right has the words “In Principio erat Verbum”, Latin for “In the beginning was the Word,” from the first line of his gospel.
St. John appears in several other stained glass windows at St. John’s: The St. John and St. Peter window, the Transfiguration window, and probably also in the Suffer the Children to Come Unto Me window.
This window is located on the north side of the nave, lower level, the closest window to the narthex. It was given to St. John’s by Roxie Otterbein in November 1982, in memory of her husband Frederick J. Otterbein (1911-1981). The inscription of dedication reads: To the Glory of God & In Memory of Frederick J. Otterbein, 1911-1981. It was made by the J. Wippell Studios of Great Britain, and was designed by Claud A. Howard, staff designer for Wippell from 1947-1995.
Location: North side of nave, upper level (clerestory), first window below the transept
Inscription: To the Memory of Moses Rogers of Shippan Point, A.D. 1799, given by a descendant. Col. Woolsey R. Hopkins